In order to work within the field of fire detection design it helps to understand the standards and principles behind the equipment. From service technicians through the sales team to system designers, an understanding of the basic principles of BS5839 Pt 1 will help your staff to speak with authority on all issues arising in this technical field of the industry. Whether dealing with clients’ questions or when providing details of the equipment that your business uses this course will prove to be invaluable. It also serves as the foundation from which to develop a more specialised understanding of an area of the fire industry that includes numerous standards and codes of practice. To present the professional image you need professional people, understanding the British Standard alongside the equipment you supply, fit and maintain. The course helps in developing the necessary professional knowledge and understanding.
This intensive one day course contains a lot of technical information and will provide a powerful tool for all who attend. With continuous assessment throughout, trainers will be able to monitor delegates progress and offer additional help where necessary to ensure success.
Who should attend?
The course will benefit anyone that requires an understanding of the basic principles of BS5839 Pt 1, particularly those aiming to complete other units in our suite of Fire Detection and Alarm courses as this course forms the pre-requisite foundation.
• Delegates will gain an understanding of:
• The legislation
• Guides and codes of practice relevant to fire detection and alarms
• The categories of systems for a building (i.e. L1 to L5 : P1 to P2)
• Detector types and choices
• Manual call point zones
• Detector and alarm zone sizes and constraints
• Technology and system components
• Detector coverage, taking into account obstructions
• Sounder requirements
• False alarm management and good maintenance
• New cable requirements
• Design certificate
All course delegates will be provided with a comprehensive manual covering the material included in the course and additional support material, serving as a valuable point of reference after completion of the course. Delegates achieving 75% or more in the assessments will also be awarded an FIA certificate stating that they have attended and passed the course.
During this course you will be provided with a manual to assist in the learning process and there are tests where you will be expected to read questions and write answers. The FIA is unable to make special provision for those who are unable to complete these tasks.
Benefits to the individual and your company:
- An understanding of the basic principles of BS5839 Pt 1, allowing the delegate to speak with authority on FD&A enquiries
- The foundation from which to build professional knowledge and competence by moving on to other courses in the FD&A Training Suite
- The professional image associated with staff that understand your business and the equipment that you work with.